Saturday, October 13, 2007

Sandpaper People

We all have sandpaper people in our lives. The term I'm using might not be one you are familiar with, but you know who I'm talking about. "Those people". You know? The ones that rough us up a little whenever they open their mouths.

I call them sandpaper people because while they do rough us up a little with their backhanded compliments, poorly worded jokes or inappropriate comments, they also take off some of our rough edges. They teach us to be a little more tolerant, a little more patient and to be a little quicker to overlook careless words that previously would have caused us to explode or at the very least offended us and left us stewing in our own juices.

But I think the worst of it is that even when you do eventually blow up at them they always reason it away. "oh she's just stressed about blah blah and taking it out on me as usual". It's never something they did, they are just the convenient scapegoat for our mood swings. I guess its half true. I do tend to blow up at my sandpaper friend when something else in my life is going crappily, but that doesn't mean that she's not unintentionally insulting the rest of the time, just that I am better equipped to overlook it when everything else is going well.

I still have to wonder sometimes........... how long till she runs out of sand and is just plain old paper? And will that be before or after I try to choke some sense into her with my bare hands?

No comments: